Designer Coffee Table by janEven
The Functional Eye-Catcher for Every Home
The living room is the heart of every home. It's where the family comes together to catch up after eventful days and relax. Cosy evenings on the sofa with friends are often the highlight of your week. No matter whether you spend hours talking or enjoying an exciting film together in captivated silence. This is exactly why the right living room furniture is such an important choice for so many people. After all, the selected furniture doesn't only need to be practical and functional. It also contributes to the resulting atmosphere with its design. A core piece of furniture in this sense is the coffee table. It serves as a place to set down magazines, reading glasses, the remote control or your evening glass of wine, and often becomes the central eye-catcher thanks to its position in the room. The importance of the low side table should therefore never be underestimated. On the contrary - when choosing a living room table, you should put just as much thought into it as you would when buying seating furniture.
The designer table by janEven is designed to effortlessly meet the various demands placed on the essential piece of furniture. Quality materials and premium workmanship lend the coffee table reliable stability and durability. Its stylish design is characterised by clear lines and a visual lightness, so that the Scandinavian-inspired side table can be perfectly integrated into any contemporarily furnished living room. The following guide explains how the different janEven coffee tables are produced and serves as a basis for choosing the ideal living room table.
What to Consider When Choosing a Coffee Table?
- The ideal shape of a coffee table
- Materials used
- What colour and look are ideal?
- The design of the table legs
- Which dimensions are ideal?
- The perfect placement of a living room table
- Different design styles
- Additional features
- Available accessories for sofa tables
- A simple assembly
- Different janEven table models
- Where can you buy a designer coffee table at a great price?
Which Coffee Table Shape Flatters My Living Room?
Whether the chosen coffee table should be round or angular is a question of taste and can only be decided in coordination with the rest of your living room furniture. Therefore, there is no general answer to the question of which shape is best. In fact, both basic shapes have their own advantages and impact the room's atmosphere in different ways.
Angular: Coffee tables by janEven are all designed in a square or rectangular shape. The angular design was deliberately chosen to create clean lines. Thanks to their clear contours, the side tables look puristic and decorative all at once. The no-frills design preserves a visual calm that is simultaneously highly modern and exudes homely cosiness. Timeless, practical, elegant.
Depending on the shape of your sofa and the number of people likely to be seated at the living room table, either a square design or an elongated, rectangular coffee table is more suitable. More information on coordinating the size of the tabletop with your seating furniture later.
Round or oval: A round coffee table is not always chosen to create a calm, visual harmony. Rather, it is chosen to create an exciting contrast to other angular furniture, such as sofas with an L-shape. The curves of the tabletop also bring visual movement into the living room and, in contrast to angular side tables, have a softer contour. A table without corners not only has design-related advantages, but is often appreciated in households with babies and small children for its additional safety. When a coffee table is oval shaped, it has similar advantages to a round living room table, but offers more space for your guests and a larger surface.
Should you Buy a Coffee Table Made of Wood, Glass, Marble or Metal?
The Ideal Material for Elegant, High-Quality Tables
From the very first draft of janEven designer tables, the intended materials were chosen with care. On the one hand, the selected materials had to match the desired style. On the other hand, the demand for sustainability and robustness was very high. The goal was to create a coffee table that conforms to the basic idea of Scandinavian design. This decorating style is appreciated for its practical furniture that adds a touch of cosiness to any room. As a result, elegant side tables were developed without any frills and with a functional simplicity that you may recognise from Bauhaus style.
Materials of the Tabletop:
When designing the tabletops of janEven coffee tables, a certain visual lightness and elegance were planned. At the same time, a high degree of resilience is required from coffee tables in general. So ideally, the material of the tabletop needed to be wafer-thin but sturdy. This apparent paradox was skilfully solved by the ingenious combination of two layers. The elegant side tables have a surface made of HPL wood with a discreetly concealed birch plywood substructure.
Coffee table with an elegant HPL top:
HPL panels (from the term "high pressure") typically consist of 70% wood fibres, which are bonded with melamine and phenolic resin. The name refers to the pressing process of the wood fibres, which takes place under high pressure and at extreme temperatures. The tabletop of janEven living room tables is available in puristic white, elegant light grey and classy anthracite. All models feature precisely bevelled outer edges and softly butted corners, which, when viewed from the side, reveal the black wood-fibre core of the material.
Advantages of a coffee table top made of HPL wood:
- Environmentally friendly: The natural, renewable material is considered particularly sustainable and environmentally friendly.
- Dirt-resistant: The tabletop of these coffee tables is easy to clean because dirt does not adhere well due to the high molecular density of the surface.
- Scratch and impact resistant: HPL is extremely scratch resistant, since a very high point load would be necessary to damage the surface.
- Durable colour: A living room table with an HPL tabletop retains maximum colour fastness even over a long period of time because, for example, the surface is not discoloured by light.
The birch plywood substructure of janEven coffee tables:
In general, birch plywood boards are made up of at least five thin layers of wood with equal thickness. These five so-called "solid veneers" are cross-bonded to achieve even greater stability. The individual veneers are at most 5 mm thick, which means that the plywood can have a total strength of 12 - 80 mm. Each coffee table by janEven has a birch plywood substructure with a thickness of 15 mm. In order for the tabletop of the side tables to keep a wafer-thin, light appearance, the plywood substructure is concealed under the HPL top. From there, the natural material ensures that the living room table is highly stable and robust.
Advantages of living room tables with a birch plywood top:
- Light material: The layered top has a low weight, which makes the coffee table easier to transport.
- Highly resilient and stable: Due to the cross-bonding at a 90° angle, the grain direction of the board changes with each layer. This gives the sofa table maximum stability and durability.
- Dimensionally stable: Not even high humidity or extreme temperature changes can deform the wooden top of the side tables.
Other Materials Popularly Used for Coffee Tables:
- Wood: A widespread, natural material for the production of coffee tables. Depending on the finish of the surface, this type of side table is impact-resistant and robust - especially if it has a tabletop made of solid wood. However, you should find out exactly how to care for the chosen type of wood to avoid unwanted discolouration and permanent signs of use.
The following kinds of wood are often used for the production of living room tables:
- Oak / oak finish
- Mango wood
- Solid wood
- Rattan: Rattan is valued as a material for furniture because it is a sustainable natural product that grows back comparatively quickly. Coffee tables made of rattan also have the advantage that they are light but at the same time also stable. After prolonged use, however, side tables made of this natural material tend to become brittle and grey.
- Metal: There are living room tables that are made entirely of metal. Other models, however, only have a metal frame on which a wooden or glass tabletop is mounted. Metal tabletops are usually valued for their resistance and easy care. The fire resistance of the material is another benefit. However, a coffee table made purely of metal can quickly appear cold and clinical. Some types of metal, such as stainless steel, also have an increased susceptibility to visible fingerprints being left behind after every touch.
- Glass: A glass coffee table has the potential to look very elegant. However, this requires regular care. Because if the light falls from a certain angle, every fingerprint and streak becomes directly visible. Therefore, it is important to regularly clean a glass side table with proper cleaner. Furthermore, coasters are indispensable if you wish to avoid small scratches on the surface. Unfortunately, even tables made of safety glass can be susceptible to small traces of wear.
- Lacquered / Glossy: High-gloss living room tables are very popular, especially in the colour white. The glossy surface is achieved by a special layer of lacquer. Unfortunately, lacquered tabletops are highly susceptible to scratches compared to matt-finished models and you should only use very soft cloths to clean their surface. Even large grains of dust are enough to leave fine scratch marks when cleaning high-gloss coffee tables. As with glass tables, fingerprints tend to appear quickly on the tabletop. If you combine several pieces of lacquered furniture in one room, you also run the risk of your entire interior quickly looking tacky.
- Stone: If you buy a coffee table made of stone, you can assume that the table top is very durable. Granite is predominantly used as a natural stone top for tables. This is because this type of stone is hard-wearing and highly resistant to temperature fluctuations. Marble table tops are also very common and have a distinctive, elegant look. Like a wooden table, stone tables should be maintained in order to treat hairline cracks in time, before, for example, frost-induced fractures occur. However, the special care product only needs to be applied once a year. Like a ceramic table, a stone side table has the disadvantage of being very heavy. It is therefore not easy to spontaneously move such a living room table to the side when, for example, you want to sweep, vacuum or mop the floor.
- Ceramic: A coffee table with a ceramic surface offers high resistance to heat and cold. You can therefore place cups with hot contents directly on the coffee table without leaving unwanted marks or rings. In addition, the tabletop of these side tables is water-repellent, impact-resistant and easy to clean. A disadvantage of the material is the heavy weight, which makes it difficult to transport the tables.
- Plastic: Some plastic coffee tables can be bought for quite a low price. Compared to more noble coffee tables made of wood or glass, these are fairly low-maintenance pieces of furniture. The wide range of colours makes this type of side table a popular choice, especially in households with children. However, you should always look at plastic tables on site in a furniture shop before buying them. This is because the products often look quite cheap in real life, which is usually not immediately recognisable in photos.
- Concrete design: Living room tables with a concrete look have a special grey appearance that is somewhat reminiscent of a stone table. In part, these coffee tables are actually made of mixed concrete. Some of them, on the other hand, are made of wood-based materials with a surface that only resembles concrete. Although these do not weigh as much as designer tables made of real concrete, they are also not as robust or resilient.
What Colour Coffee Table Should I Choose?
A coffee table can be intentionally chosen to catch the eye as a decorative highlight and to stand out from the other pieces of furniture in your home. Especially its central position in the room makes this easier. Nevertheless, it is important to complement the existing decor so that the room doesn't look too chaotic and a certain harmony is preserved. Designer side tables by janEven are available in three colours and can therefore be ideally combined with sofas in different colours. Choose a living room table in puristic white, light grey or classy anthracite to add a touch of elegance to your room.
Find out which coffee table best matches which sofa here.
Which colour coffee table should I buy for a black sofa?
For an interesting colour contrast, a black sofa can be ideally combined with a side table in white. This prevents the black sofa from setting a too serious tone. Depending on the desired ambience, the selection of a colourful coffee table in a bright tone is recommended. However, this only works if the other pieces of furniture are designed in more neutral shades. Otherwise, the different colours can lead to visual clutter. If a white carpet is already present, a light or reddish wooden table provides more visual warmth.
Which side table goes well with a brown leather couch?
Brown evokes cosiness and is a very flexible colour that can be combined with many different shades. A white or violet-coloured coffee table radiates a sense of calm in combination with a brown sofa. A yellow side table, on the other hand, adds a little life to the living room. If you have a light floor, a marble coffee table with a polished finish looks very elegant.
Which coffee table to buy if you have a grey sofa?
If you have a grey couch, you can certainly buy a coffee table in the same shade of grey. An exciting combination without the use of bright colours can, for example, be created by combining a light grey sofa with an anthracite-coloured side table or vice versa. Since grey is a fairly neutral colour, similar to brown, it gives you a lot of leeway when mixing it with different shades. A sofa table in yellow, for example, provides visual warmth, while pink exudes a romantic charm.
Designer Coffee Table with High-Quality Hairpin Legs or Modern Stainless Steel Skids
Designer coffee tables by janEven are available with two different leg types, depending on the selected size.
The graceful metal legs in a hairpin look consist of steel struts with a black powder coating. On the one hand, the high-quality surface coating of the table legs offers protection against rust, and on the other hand, it is more environmentally friendly than a classic wet paint finish. This is because the process is carried out without solvents. This is in line with the Scandinavian furniture style, which is the inspiration for janEven's coffee table line and is characterised by a love of nature. Not only the typically Scandinavian connection to nature is embodied by the hairpin side table legs. There are also visual parallels to the popular design style. The metal legs are slightly slanted, as is the case with the wooden legs of Scandinavian furniture. It is precisely this slight angle that lends the small living room tables additional stability. In combination with the noble powder coating in black, the already slender legs of the coffee tables appear even lighter and more elegant. janEven designer coffee tables with hairpin legs are supplied with floor protectors for sensitive floors.
Stainless steel runners:
In addition to the elegant hairpin legs, janEven offers stainless steel runners for its larger coffee table models. The lightly brushed metal table legs have a high-quality and timeless look to them. True to the basic idea of the Bauhaus design style, the stainless steel runners of the side tables feature clear lines, making them look highly modern as well as puristically elegant. In addition to the obvious advantages of the special metal table legs (rustproof, stable construction), there are deeper reasons why they were chosen for the designer living room tables by janEven. After all, stainless steel is considered very sustainable and environmentally friendly for a number of reasons. Even the production of the refined raw material requires less energy than, for example, the production of plastic or aluminium. Moreover, a large part of the stainless steel in circulation today consists of more than 50% recycled steel. If at some point the durable, resistant material has to be scrapped, it can usually be 100% recycled itself. Entirely in the spirit of sustainability.
The Perfect Dimensions of a Coffee Table
What is the Ideal Size for a Coffee Table?
In janEven‘s collection you can find coffee tables with a variety of tabletop sizes. From small and square (50 x 50 cm under the category "side tables") to large and rectangular (80 x 115 cm). The right product is available for every taste and purpose. Which size a living room table should have depends on other factors besides your personal preference.
- How many people are likely to sit at the coffee table?
If the table is positioned in front of an L-shaped sofa, it is important that all the people sitting there can reach it easily to be able to set down cups, glasses and other objects comfortably. Therefore, a small, square side table is not the best choice for such an arrangement. Instead, it is more practical to have either an elongated, rectangular living room table or a larger square shape.
- How wide is the couch?
In combination with a two- or three-seater, the coffee table should not be too wide, because otherwise it could look a bit imposing. The recommended table width for this type of sofa is about one third or half the width of the couch.
- Leave enough space between the coffee table and other furniture
Lastly, when choosing the right coffee table size, it is important to ensure that there is enough room to move around. Make sure there is enough space between the side table, sofa and other pieces of furniture so that each person can easily get up and leave their seat without bumping into anything. You can find out which distances are needed to be able to move around the room freely in the section "Coffee table positioning"“.
What is the Ideal Height for a Coffee Table?
Ideally, a coffee table should be the same height as the seat of your sofa or armchair. A height of between 40 cm and 50 cm is therefore recommended as a benchmark. If stylish lounge furniture is used, the side table can also be a little lower. If the living room table is also used as a dining or work table, a height of up to 60 cm is often ideal. For this purpose, some manufacturers offer height adjustable coffee tables. All designer tables by janEven are either 43 cm (with hairpin legs) or 45 cm tall (with stainless steel runners) and therefore meet the standard dimensions of classic sofa tables.
How Should I Position my Coffee Table?
As described above, when choosing the size and position of your coffee table, you should definitely make sure that there is enough room to move around freely between your different pieces of furniture. After all, no matter how gorgeous and high-quality a designer table may be - if you repeatedly bump into it with your shins, it will eventually get annoying.
Recommended distances for positioning your side table:
- Distance between your living room table and the couch: 45 cm for a clear path
- Distance to other pieces of furniture and the TV: 80 cm
Classy Coffee Tables that Combine Different Design Styles
Timeless Scandinavian Style Meets Bauhaus Purism
The production of janEven designer tables focuses on different values, which together shape the quality and the visual outcome of the pieces. This has resulted in elegant and high-quality coffee tables that cannot be assigned to just one style, but rather embody and skilfully unite the basic ideas of different design directions. A central aspect in the creation of the side tables, for example, is the use of sustainable, environmentally friendly materials. Like classic Scandinavian furniture, janEven living room tables show a close connection to nature. The practical functionality of the sofa tables was also a central focus when the pieces were originally designed. This creates a connection to the Bauhaus style, which stands for a puristic, functional design with clear lines.
Other furnishing styles that go well with coffee tables by janEven:
- Cottage style: The cottage / country house design style came into existence around the 17th century as a result of many wealthy families in England acquiring a second home in the countryside. In today's fast-paced world, this style of furnishing is appreciated for its natural cosiness and idyllic charm. Furniture in this style is predominantly made of natural materials and is often refined with a Nordic touch. Especially the janEven coffee table in white is a welcome colour highlight in homes with an interior characterised by rustic, dark wood.
- Modern interior design: The modern design style cannot be defined as a single trend. Many different movements have emerged in recent years that can all be described as modern. These include, for example, the used look, loft style and the sustainable green living lifestyle. Especially in houses and flats with a loft flair that are furnished in an environmentally friendly way, the sustainably produced coffee tables with clear contours can be ideally integrated.
- Industrial style: Industrial style is the original form of the modern loft concept. The trend originated in New York in the 1940s, when old factories and attics were converted into flats. Among other things, high ceilings and unplastered walls are what make industrial interiors so special. The janEven coffee table in grey or anthracite, for example, goes well with this rather cool basic style.
- Vintage: Genuine vintage furniture originates from the 1920s - 1970s and exudes a unique nostalgia with its exciting shapes and charming traces of wear. This furnishing style has become so popular that there are an increasing number of imitation pieces in a Shabby Chic or used look. Vintage furniture by Scandinavian designers in particular is becoming increasingly popular, and the puristic side table by janEven can be excellently combined with pieces in this style.
- Art Nouveau: Art Nouveau emerged with the transition from the 19th to the 20th century. The essence of the movement consisted of a return to nature in order to bring humans and the environment back into harmony. As a result, furniture inspired by nature with ornamental designs was created. The magnificent pieces of furniture can be ideally combined with modern items, such as the puristic coffee table by janEven.
Should you Buy an Elegant Designer Table or a Coffee Table with Extra Features?
A coffee table must make a good impression as the centrepiece of your living room. In addition to its role as an eye-catcher, it offers a storage surface for the various items that you need for a relaxing evening on the sofa - such as the remote control or an exciting book.
Side tables that also offer additional features can be especially practical in smaller flats or households with children. However, they can rarely compete with the flair of a real designer table.
Optional additional features of a living room table:
- Storage space: Some coffee tables are equipped with an additional storage surface under the tabletop. This is often combined with a glass tabletop so that you can always see the items you have left there. However, this can quickly appear untidy and disorganised.
- Drawers: Instead of a visible surface under a glass tabletop, some side tables offer drawers for additional storage space. While these are practical and avoid visible clutter, they usually make the sofa table look wider and bulkier.
- Coffee table with wheels: A mobile table may be a relief when cleaning. It can be easily rolled to the side for vacuuming or mopping. However, it quickly loses its perceived stability and the plastic castors that are often used look anything but high-quality.
- Height adjustability: Very few living rooms have a coffee table that is height adjustable. For people with limited mobility, however, a side table like this can be very helpful. Especially if it is used as a dining table in the evening while watching TV. In most cases, however, a coffee table with a height of 40 cm - 50 cm is perfectly adequate.
- Coffee table with a tray: For additional safety, e.g. when setting down drinks, some side tables have a rim that surrounds the tabletop. This prevents the placed objects from falling down by accident when using the table. If the living room table is normally used for drinking coffee, this can be a practical solution. Otherwise, however, the design is a little reminiscent of lunch in a canteen, which is not exactly the epitome of a cosy home.
Useful or Decorative Accessories for Coffee Tables
The janEven designer coffee table does not need any decorative accessories such as candles or flower vases to catch the eye. Its visual lightness and stylish colouring alone make the small living room table stand out. To protect sensitive floors from scratches, the side table models with hairpin legs are supplied with floor protectors. The inconspicuous floor protectors in black can be easily and discreetly attached to the bottom of the steel legs.
We do not recommend additional accessories like a tablecloth or a multi-part place mat set, as these would only distract from the elegant design of the sofa tables. Moreover, the HPL surface of the coffee tables is so easy to clean and dirt-resistant that no tablecloth is necessary. At most, coasters can be beneficial if you would like to place hot cups on the designer table. However, the HPL tabletop already has a certain heat resistance from the outset.
Assembling janEven Coffee Tables in a Few Simple Steps
When janEven coffee tables are delivered, the two high-quality and robust layers of the table top are already joined together. This means that you only need to attach the table legs. For this purpose, high-quality stainless steel screws with an Allen key are included in the delivery of the coffee tables. For mounting the black steel hairpin legs and the high-quality stainless steel runners, there are already precisely shaped recesses under the top of the side tables. So you can easily attach the table frame here. No instructions are necessary!
Various Coffee Table Sizes and Models by janEven
|Coffee Table Models + Product Descriptions|
|Coffee Table Model||Tabletop Size
(width x length)
|Table Legs||Table Weight||Price|
|FloatLine white||80 x 80 cm||Hairpin legs||17,97 kg||369,- €|
|FloatLine light grey||80 x 80 cm||Hairpin legs||17,97 kg||369,- €|
|FloatLine anthracite||80 x 80 cm||Hairpin legs||17,97 kg||369,- €|
|FleatLine white||80 x 80 cm||Stainless steel skids||22,19 kg||499,- €|
|FleatLine light grey||80 x 80 cm||Stainless steel skids||22,19 kg||499,- €|
|FleatLine anthracite||80 x 80 cm||Stainless steel skids||22,19 kg||499,- €|
|LeedLine white||115 x 70 cm||Stainless steel skids||25,63 kg||499,- €|
|LeedLine light grey||115 x 70 cm||Stainless steel skids||25,63 kg||499,- €|
|LeedLine anthracite||115 x 70 cm||Stainless steel skids||25,63 kg||499,- €|
|LeedLine white||115 x 80 cm||Stainless steel skids||27,92 kg||499,- €|
|LeedLine light grey||115 x 80 cm||Stainless steel skids||27,92 kg||499,- €|
|LeedLine anthracite||115 x 80 cm||Stainless steel skids||27,92 kg||499,- €|
|FlairLine white||90 x 50 cm||Hairpin legs||14,73 kg||289,- €|
|FlairLine light grey||90 x 50 cm||Hairpin legs||14,73 kg||289,- €|
|FlairLine anthracite||90 x 50 cm||Hairpin legs||14,73 kg||289,- €|
|FlairLine white||120 x 55 cm||Hairpin legs||18,92 kg||369,- €|
|FlairLine light grey||120 x 55 cm||Hairpin legs||18,92 kg||369,- €|
|FlairLine anthracite||120 x 55 cm||Hairpin legs||18,92 kg||369,- €|
|FlairLine white||100 x 60 cm||Hairpin legs||17,7 kg||329,- €|
|FlairLine light grey||100 x 60 cm||Hairpin legs||17,7 kg||329,- €|
|FlairLine anthracite||100 x 60 cm||Hairpin legs||17,7 kg||329,- €|
|FlairLine white||115 x 70 cm||Hairpin legs||21,88 kg||369,- €|
|FlairLine light grey||115 x 70 cm||Hairpin legs||21,88 kg||369,- €|
|FlairLine anthracite||115 x 70 cm||Hairpin legs||21,88 kg||369,- €|
|FlairLine white||115 x 80 cm||Hairpin legs||23,7 kg||469,- €|
|FlairLine light grey||115 x 80 cm||Hairpin legs||23,7 kg||469,- €|
|FlairLine anthracite||115 x 80 cm||Hairpin legs||23,7 kg||469,- €|
Buy Quality Designer Coffee Tables at a Great Price from the janEven Online Shop
The best place to buy your janEven designer coffee table is right here in the manufacturer's online shop. On the designer's website, you benefit from numerous advantages and first-class service. Quick and free shipping (within Germany starting from a shopping cart value of 49,-€ and from 99,- € to Austria, NL, LU, BE), numerous payment options and competent customer support on the phone round off janEven's range of products and services. Premium designer tables at unbeatable prices.